After donating $4 million to the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, Taylor Swift has been identified by DoSomething.org as 2012’s most charitable celebrity. In recent years, more celebrities like Swift have been actively engaged in charitable giving. For many of them, philanthropy has opened a myriad of possibilities to give back to the society—the very same people to whom they owe their success to.
Parade.com listed down the names of top-earning celebrities who are also top givers:
1. George Clooney. Mr. Clooney juggles his acting career with his role as a UN Messenger of Peace and a member of the Board of Trustees of United Way. He also devotes much of his time and efforts in stopping the on-going energy crisis in Darfur.
2. Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. This power couple has been in the charitable giving limelight for many reasons. Of note is Pitt’s Make It Right Foundation which has been building homes for New Orleans residents who have been affected by Hurricane Katrina. Jolie, on the other hand, has been travelling the world on behalf of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, staunchly advocating for people in need.
3. Ben Affleck. Back in 2008, actor-turned-director Ben Affleck teamed up with the UN to release a film that underlined the Congo refugees’ numerous dilemma. He has also been active in exploring the humanitarian crisis in Congo.
4. Madonna. Unknown to many, the Queen of Pop is also a member of Raising Malawi’s advisory committee. She has been actively helping with the volunteer organization’s mission to aid parentless foundlings in some of the poorest countries of the world.
5. Michael J. Fox. Despite the degeneration caused by his ailment, Fox hasn’t backed down on his continued fight against Parkinson’s disease. Through the years, the Michael J. Fox Foundation was able to raise over $100 million for use in research in combating the progressive disease.